Tuesday, February 7, 2012

EVERYTHING TO GOD IN PRAYER


Last Sunday at the Brownwood Skilled Nursing devotional, we sang an old song that has a great message.
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!
These words, written by Joseph M. Scriven in 1855, have a great message and I have been moved to meditate on them several times since that devotional.
How often do I see prayer as a Christian obligation instead of an intimate privilege? How often do I hurry in and hurry out of my prayers? How often do I wring my hands in worry instead of folding them in prayer?
Jesus said in Matt 11:28-29
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” NIV
In Him
J. Tom Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment