Monday, November 23, 2009

A Way Of Life


This past week our country set aside a day to give thanks. For many of us, it was a time to be with family and friends. Some of us spent the day at a casual pace, enjoying the free time, while others were busy, working at a frantic pace wishing for more time. The television, if turned on, showed us the parades and the ball games and hundreds of commercials filled with things we can not live without. At some point in the day most of us gathered around a feast and we ate and laughed with those who had gathered.

Those pictures have defined Thanksgiving, for me, for years. Today I have a different picture of Thanksgiving. Today I am grateful not just for the harvest, today I am even more grateful for the harvesters God has placed in my life, those people who show me God. I am grateful for Mike and Sharon who have shown me the faith of a giant this year. I am grateful for my sons who have held Julie and me up this year with their support. Today I am grateful for two churches that have shown me God’s love. I am grateful for new friends and new partners in ministry.

Thanksgiving is a great holiday; it is an even greater way of life.
1 Chr 16:34
34 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
(NIV)

In Him
J. Tom Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment