Monday, August 8, 2022

Thinking of Others

I restarted this blog to inform you about my cancer journey and the lessons I was learning along the way. There are so many lessons I have learned and so many more I am still learning. I believe everything that happens in our lives is meant to teach us something about God, or it is intended to point us to God. Some lessons are easy to understand and see during the experience; other lessons take time to process and take time to unfold. One of the easy lessons to see was the lesson of humility and dependence. At one point in the treatment in the hospital, I lost all control over my bodily functions. As a grown man, it was humbling to ask for help, but Julie's help only made me love her more and more. In our walk with Christ, there are times we are helpless, and the service we receive from the believers, while humbling us, only draws us closer to The Body and Christ. I am getting stronger now, and, in many ways, I can take care of myself now, but I must never forget the journey and the lesson of humility. Humility is not one of the celebrated virtues in our society, but it is one of the identifiable characteristics of Christ, and as such, it needs to be present in all His followers. In Philippians 2:8, Paul says Christ humbled Himself. Notice that this was not something that was done to Him. Instead, this is what He did Himself. Pride and arrogance destroy so many relationships and create so many barriers. Christ came to destroy those barriers, and a humble spirit is a part of the unification process. Live your life for the glory of God. In Him J. Tom Washburn

2 comments:

  1. Continued prayers for you both guys! Thanks Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help will come when we figure out we can't do it all.

    ReplyDelete