Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Are you ready for some ...

All across the state, young men are beginning football practice. This dreaded ritual is called two a days. These two a days consume the lives of these young men. When they get up in the morning, they are thinking about practice. When they are home and when they are eating, they are thinking about rest and the next practice. When they go to bed at night, they are thinking about the next day of practice. These young men go through all of the pain and work, so that they can perform well on Friday night.
Football is just a game, and these young men go through all of that just for a game, don't you think we should be just as prepared for life.
Paul says in 1 Cor 9:24-27
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.
27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
(NIV)
I hope all of our young men have great seasons, but my real prayer is that all of us will have great lives that glorify God.
In Him
J. Tom Washburn

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed reading your thoughts this morning. Life can sure ebb away when it just happens to you. Preparation and intention are always tough to maintain. Thanks

    ReplyDelete