Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Father"s Day


As a father, you would think, father’s day should be one of those days I have circled on my calendar. I’m not crazy, I do like gifts, who wouldn’t want another tie or another pair of socks, but those are not the gifts I cherish most. As a father, the gifts I cherish most are those times when I see the men my boys are becoming. The gifts they give me are gifts that are stored up in my heart. I swell with pride when they go to church because it is what they want to do. I well up with tears when I hear of them teaching a friend. You cannot wipe the grin from my face when I learn of them standing up for what is right. Those are the gifts I cherish, gifts of character and faith.
Don’t misunderstand, there have been times when I have just stood and shook my head at what they have done, but those things are rubbish compared to the gifts.
If I feel this way about my boys, how do you think God feels about us? I know God doesn’t need our gifts of ties or socks, He doesn’t even need our gold or silver. What God wants from His children is their lives, lived for His glory. He takes great pride in that. I love how Zephaniah describes God in Zeph. 3:17 when it says:
“The Lord your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with his love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Since this is who God is, shouldn’t we listen to Paul when he urges us to (Eph 4:1-3)
“… live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
This Sunday is “Fathers Day” and I pray that your life honors your Heavenly Father.
In Him
J. Tom Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment