Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Move


Moving is one of those four letter words (that has six letters) in our home. Nobody likes to move. Moving is a lot of work. There is all of that boxing up, lifting and toting and then there is the unloading and unpacking. Nobody likes to move.
Recently I have discovered some benefits in moving. Moving has given me the opportunity to throw away some things in my life that were broken and useless (who really needs an old inner tube from a bike they no longer own?). As I get rid of the broken and unusable “stuff” my load gets lighter and lighter. As I get rid of the broken and unusable “stuff” I feel freer and freer.
I have also discovered that every time I rearrange my garage or shed or even my room, I discover new stuff I don’t need, and as I discard those items I discover more and more freedom.
I think in my life, God wants me to move. God does not want me to stay where I am; He calls me to come to Him and in order to do that I need to move. This move requires me to get rid of some “stuff”. The secret about getting rid of that stuff is this, the more of the stuff I let go of the greater the freedom.
The Hebrew author says this
Heb 12:1
“…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”
What is the stuff you need to throw off in order to move closer to God?
In Him
J. Tom Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment