Friday, June 4, 2010

Preaching

Preaching is an odd thing. When I was growing up I never imagined that a preacher would ever be less than perfect. Now that I am a preacher I know that preachers are anything but perfect. The real struggle in preaching is being real while not loosing credibility with those you talk to. If you come across as somebody who never sins, no one can relate to you and they soon stop listening. If you come across as a reprobate, there is no reason to listen to you.
Trying to share Christ with a world that is lost is hard work. I think the big challenge is to share Christ and let Him transform the life. Too often I want to transform the life and then share Christ or make sharing Christ contingent of showing me the transformation. I just need to trust Christ. He will do what He said He will do.
So many hurting people, so many people carrying around guilt long forgiven.
The body of Christ was never designed to inflict guilt or pain, we were meant to point people to Christ. We were made to share a message of hope and life and forgiveness. It isn't wrong to point out sin, but we need to also point towards the promise of forgiveness.
The friends of the paralytic didn't just tell their friend about a place of healing, they carried him to the healer and lowered him at the feet of Jesus. Lets learn that lesson.
Just some thoughts I was having today
In Him
J. Tom Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment