Friday, June 19, 2009

Burl

Wikipedia defines burl as - "A burl (British bur or burr) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress."
Burl is a new term to me. I was introduced to the term when some dear friends gave my wife and me a vase that had been carved from maple burl. The twisted grain of the wood made the vase unique and beautiful.
As I studied the vase, and as my friend explained to me what a burl is and how it only comes about through stress, I began to understand how God sees His children. Those parts of our lives that have been so twisted by stress are the parts, and are ugly to us, God can mold into the beautiful image of grace.
The trick is this, we must be willing to let God have our burl. We must be willing to let Him cut away the bark and gently cut away all those parts that are hiding His glory. It is only after God has done His work that others will be truly able to see His glory shining through you.
Eph 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.(NIV)

In Him
J. Tom Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment