Saturday, June 27, 2009

How can I miss you if you won’t go away?

Jesus said “follow me” it sounds easy, but it may be the hardest command ever given. Following also involves leaving and leaving is hard. Most of us have created a world where we are comfortable. (Jesus never promised us comfort on the journey.) Their may be parts of our lives we are unhappy with, but we are not so unhappy that we have changed anything. Jesus says “follow me” and that means some things, everything, will change. For us to become what Jesus has in store for us, we must be willing to follow Him and be willing to leave behind those things that so easily entangle us.
There are times Jesus calls us, and He wants us to pick up everything and move to a new location. Everything we have become familiar with is gone and we start all over again. We feel alone, afraid and vulnerable. All of our old friends and support are gone and we feel afraid.
Jesus said “follow me” but He never leaves us alone or unprotected. He also never takes us to a place He has not prepared us for.

Heb 13:5-6
5 …, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
6 So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
(NIV)
As Julie and I trust God on our new adventure, we also look back to dear friends and watch with great anticipation for want God has in store for them.

In Him
J. Tom Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment