Friday, September 4, 2009

Really Living

One of the people God has put in my life is Sharon Washburn. Sharon is one of the strongest believers I know, and her faith has always blessed me. I wanted to share with you something she wrote in her blog.

------------
The last few weeks, I've been blessed to meet some new ladies through radiation as we sit in the "locker" room waiting for treatment. One lady in particular has been on my heart. She's 20 years my senior with the sweetest disposition. Through these weeks, she's grown to trust me & has shared with me that she is near the end of her medical journey. The breast cancer has returned a 3rd time, & now is extensively in her bones & spine & this is the last radiation for her. There is little left the medical community can offer her except pain management & those conversations with doctors will be forthcoming soon.

You'd think our conversations about death & dying would be gloomy & depressing, but they're really not. They're sweet & hopeful. Thoughtful & reflective. She needs a listening ear because her family is not quite ready to accept her physical realities. Sometimes a "stranger" like me can be a pretty good listening ear. You see, she's a believer & knows God can step in & save the day at any time. She also knows He's getting her ready for heaven & she's planning the way she's living out her life. She's cleaning out closets & getting her house in order for her family. Not in a desperate way, but a loving way. She's thankful for the years God has given her & is just so graceful in her manner! She & I pray we have the grace to walk our life's journeys the way He intends for us. The number of those days is really of no consequence, only that each one is spent living.

I don't know how many days, weeks or years God has planned for me here, but I will live them all! I will love the ones He loves & depend completely on His grace to save me. I want my life to be a love response to Him for my salvation & be ready to go to heaven. Sure, I don't want to dwell on death all the time, but living with a readiness to meet Jesus face to face - that's really living!

Blessings!
Sharon Washburn

---------------

Eph 4:1
... I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
(NIV)

In Him
J. Tom Washburn

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. She is such a blessing to so many people and I count my blessings everyday for God placing her in my life in such a powerful role. We have a pretty great family, I would say. Your words and thoughts are great too. Thanks for sharing with us too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing part of Sharon's story. Her life is an example of how we all should live our lives in such a way that we are prepared to meet our God whenever the time comes.

    ReplyDelete