Friday, April 1, 2022

Humble Victory

This past week has been challenging, full of joy and pain. Julie and I spent Saturday afternoon in the emergency room because I had a hard time keeping anything in. Sunday, I preached a lesson that needed to be presented. Tired from the day before, I was lifted by the kind comments and responses to the challenge of unity shown in the lesson. Monday, when I went for my treatment, the doctor canceled a part of the treatment for a time, saying it was too hard on my body. I would love to say I was glad, but I felt defeated. Why were we stopping (even for a short time) something that seemed to be working? Fighting cancer is like fighting in a boxing match. When you get knocked to the ground, it is illegal to continue hitting somebody when they are on the mat. I need to rest in the corner and come back out fighting when the bell rings again. Taking a rest for my body is not quitting. Taking a rest for my body is not giving up. Taking a rest for my body is essential if I am going to continue the fight. I don’t know when the Doctor will start the discontinued treatment again, but I will stand up and fight until the fight is over. Fighting cancer and fighting for the godly life have many things in common. There are times when we will fall face down on the mat, and we need help. There are times when we need to rest from the constant attack. There are times when we need to be still. God has not put us in a fight that can not be won. God has not walked away from us when we fall. God will not kick us when we are down. God will provide for us, protect us, and comfort us. Most of us have the challenge of humbling ourselves and accepting the gifts that only God can give. We will lose if we insist on doing it ourselves. We can not fail if we follow close to Christ and trust His leading. There will still be a fight, and it will still be difficult, but our victory is already won. Trust in the One who can.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent analogy and so inspirational! Thank you for being you!!! We are so blessed by you and continue to pray for you and Julie!! We love y’all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers for you and your family

    ReplyDelete